One of the most popular — and fun — ways to catch up on new media is to stream it with your friends. An easy way to do that is to host or join an Amazon Prime Video Watch Party, which allows you to chat and watch eligible titles and content with friends and family virtually. Here’s what you need to do to use Amazon Prime Video Watch Party.
How to use Amazon Prime Video Watch Party
Amazon Prime Video’s Watch Party feature allows you to chat with up to 100 friends in the same country while you watch movies and TV shows together on a variety of desktop browsers, except Internet Explorer and Apple Safari. Here are the steps you need to take to host your very own Amazon Prime Video Watch Party.
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Search for the movie or TV show you want to watch.
- Click on the Watch Party icon on your screen for movies or in the episode list for TV shows.
- Create the name you’d like to use while chatting.
- Select Create your Watch Party.
- Copy the Watch Party link and Share the link with up to 100 people.
- If you’re on the receiving end of an invite, you can Join by clicking on the link.
To access Prime eligible content via a Watch Party, you will need to have a Prime membership already. You can also choose to use Watch Party to view content available to buy or rent with friends and family.
Watch parties on Fire TV devices
As of July 2021, the Amazon Prime Video Watch Party feature is also supported on Fire TV and mobile devices through the Prime Video app. Here’s what you need to do to host or join a Watch Party on your Fire TV device:
- Open the Prime Video app on your Fire TV device.
- Choose the movie or show you want to watch with friends.
- Select the Watch Party button.
- Decide to Create Watch Party or Join Watch Party.
- If you are the host of the Watch Party, share the link with people you want to join. If you are an attendee, enter the code sent to you.
It’s worth noting that the Watch Party feature on mobile is limited only to the chat functionality. This means you can’t co-watch movies and shows with friends on mobile, but can join in the chat.
Prime time for a Watch Party
While every participant will need to buy or rent the video to participate in an Amazon Prime Video Watch Party, only the Watch Party host can decide to play, pause, skip, and seek for the entire group.
Additionally, if you wish to host or join a Watch Party while traveling internationally, you must first log into your Prime membership via your home country page. At this time, Prime Video users can only participate in watch parties with other subscribers within the same country. That means your subscription, rental, or purchase must be made in the same country as the host’s home subscription, rental, or purchase.